There is no need to go out for Mexican! Try this delicious family sized chicken burrito salad bowl at home instead. A bright, colourful bowl of goodness that the whole family will love!
With fajita seasoned chicken, tomato salsa, rice, guacamole, beans and salad, these bowls are a great way to introduce kids to different meats, veggies and new flavours, as well as being a great way to eat a healthy and filling meal- without sacrificing taste.
What do I put in a burrito bowl?;
A burrito bowl can contain any ingredients that you like! Choose your favourite Mexican flavoured meats (or you could use mushrooms or tofu for a meat free option instead) and salads. For this family sized chicken burrito salad bowl, I used;
- Sliced fajita chicken breast
- Simple chopped tomato salsa (or if you prefer, you can make this version of tomato salsa)
- Homemade guacamole
- Red onion
- Black beans
- Corn (you can use fresh, canned or frozen)
- Rice (either Mexican spiced or plain). You could swap this out for cauliflower rice or another grain for a lower carb option. For a flavoured rice, cook two cups of rice in chicken stock instead of water. Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp dried oregano and 1-2 tbs tomato paste during cooking.
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped coriander
For a more filling meal, you can also serve with fresh tortillas, shells or corn chips!
Chicken Burrito Seasoning;
This recipe uses an easy rub made of Mexican spices like cumin, paprika and coriander. The spice rub can be made ahead and stored in the pantry for convenience. Simply rub it over your chicken and either cook the chopped chicken in a pan or sear the whole breasts and finish them off in the oven.
If you prefer to prepare your meals ahead of time, you’ll love this burrito bowl! The chicken can be cooked ahead and served either hot or cold depending on preference.
All of the salad ingredients can be chopped ahead too. For easy work lunches, simply place the prepared ingredients into individual containers and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Save the avocado and guacamole until ready to eat.
If prepping for dinner, the entire bowl can be made ahead and stored in the fridge. Simply top with guacamole and avocado when required.
Looking for more delicious Mexican inspired dinner ideas? Try these delicious recipes;
- Spicy Chipotle Tofu Burrito Bowl from Whole Food Bellies
- Chile con queso dip from Mad Creations
- Baked chicken enchiladas from Kidgredients
- Quinoa con carne from Little Peeps Eats
- Easy homemade beef tacos
- Char Siu pork tacos
- Vegetarian chilli
- 2 large chicken breasts, either chopped or whole
- Olive oil
- FOR THE CHICKEN SEASONING
- 1/4 tsp allspice, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried or fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- FOR THE SIMPLE TOMATO SALSA
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- juice from 1/2 lime
- chopped coriander (optional)
- red chilli, chopped (optional)
- FOR THE GUACAMOLE
- 2 large, ripe avocados, mashed with a fork
- 125ml sour cream
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 x 400g can corn kernels, drained (or use fresh or frozen)
- 1 x 400g can of black beans, drained
- Capsicum, thinly sliced (red and yellow)
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- 1 chopped red onion
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Chopped coriander, to serve
For the fajita chicken;
Pre-heat oven to 200C°.
Stir all of the spice ingredients together in a small bowl. Rub the spices into the chicken breasts until they are completely covered. Heat a medium frying pan over high heat and add the olive oil.
Add the chicken breasts to the pan and sear on both sides for approximately two minutes each side. Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and place them into an oven tray.
Bake for around 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through the middle. Cooking times will vary slightly depending on your oven and the size of the chicken breasts. Remove from the oven and allow to rest while you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients.
Alternatively, you can chop the chicken breasts before coating them with the spices and cook them completely in the pan, rather than oven baking.
For the salsa;
While the chicken is in the oven, simply combine all of the chopped salsa ingredients into a small bowl and cover with the lime juice.
For the guacamole;
Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until completely smooth. The guacamole can be made ahead and stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Place all of the salad ingredients into the bowl and top with pieces of the sliced chicken and spoonfuls of guacamole, salsa, sliced avocado and lime wedges.
For more delicious, fast and affordable weeknight dinner ideas, see my time saving tips and recipes for speedy weeknight dinners, or, easy takeaway recipes you can make at home.
Thanks for reading! Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes delivered straight to your inbox.