This real ginger beer with lemon is perfect for upset stomachs, colds and nausea, or just for a refreshing drink. Made with only 4 simple ingredients, this natural and low calorie drink can be made at home without any refined sugar or additives. And it is also healthy and super easy to make!
When I’m feeling unwell (and even when I’m not!), ginger beer is one of my favourite drinks. It is so refreshing and calming, as well as being delicious!
Of course, ginger beer isn’t actually “beer”. This version is non-alcoholic. I make this easy drink whenever my kids have an upset stomach. As a bonus, they’re also getting a healthy and beneficial drink packed full of goodness.
Ginger is fresh, firey and fragrant on its own and is a natural anti-inflammatory that is also used to cleanse the body. It can also assist to calm upset stomachs and nausea.
For the best results, use fresh ginger where possible. I use soda or mineral water in this recipe, however if you have a cold and want a hot drink, use boiling water instead and make ginger tea. If you prefer a sweeter drink, add brown rice syrup or honey to your drink. Just dissolve it in a small amount of water before adding. You can also alter the quantities depending on your personal taste.
Mix this delicious drink with club soda (soda water) or mineral water to make homemade ginger beer. Adjust the amount of sweetener, ginger and lemon to suit your tastes. It is best consumed on the day that it is made, for ultimate freshness.
Natural Ginger Beer with Lemon
- 5 cups soda water or mineral water
- 1 large piece of ginger approx. 10 cm long, peeled and juiced (or grated and pressed through a sieve.
- lemon juice to taste approx. 1-2 lemons
- honey or brown rice syrup to taste
- extra lemon slices
- crushed ice
- Run the peeled ginger though a juicer and set the juice aside. If you don’t have a juicer, you can grate the ginger and mix it with a little water and then extract the juice through a sieve.
- If you are adding honey or brown rice syrup, mix it in a small amount of the soda water first, until dissolved.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large jug and serve with lemon slices and ice. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading! Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes delivered straight to your inbox.