Healthy Chicken Tacos
Perfect for Taco Tuesday (or any other night!), these healthy chicken tacos are a great choice for easy midweek dinners or for feeding a hungry crowd. Soft flour tortillas, filled with crispy seasoned chicken and topped with creamy avocado sauce, sriracha, lime and your favourite crunchy salads. Cook them in the oven, stove top or air fryer for a family dinner that everyone is sure to love!
Servings: 10 tacos
- 2-3 chicken breast around 600 grams, cut into strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil or 1 cup canola oil, for shallow frying
For the chicken coating
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 - 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
For the avocado sauce
- 2 soft avocados
- ½ cup sour cream
- pinch salt
- lemon juice to taste
- 2 cups lettuce chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- ⅓ cup feta crumbled
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 10 small flour tortillas or other wrap of choice
- sriracha chilli sauce
- lime wedges
- 1 bunch fresh coriander chopped
For the chicken
Coat the chicken in the buttermilk, stir through the sriracha and set aside to soak. For best results, the chicken can be soaked overnight.
Once the chicken has soaked for the desired time (1-2 hours minimum is best, but not essential if you are short on time), mix the chicken coating ingredients together in a bowl.
Set up the beaten eggs in one bowl, the flour coating in another and a clean plate to place the chicken.
Remove each piece from the buttermilk (one at a time) and coat it in the flour mixture. Then, dredge each piece through the eggs and coat in the flour mix a second time.
Set the chicken on the clean plate as you coat the other pieces.
For oven baking
Pre-heat the oven to 220 °C/428 F.
Place the coated chicken strips on an oven tray, with room between each piece. Use two trays, if needed. Drizzle the chicken with the oil, or evenly coat with an oil spray.
Bake for 10 minutes, before carefully turning the chicken pieces and baking for a further 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. *Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Tenderloin sized pieces will need around 15-20 minutes, smaller pieces around 10-15 minutes.
For air frying
In batches, place the chicken strips into the air fryer tray and coat with the oil or an oil spray.
Cook at 200 °C (390 F) for 5 minutes. Open the tray and turn the chicken. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. *Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Tenderloin sized pieces will need around 10-12 minutes, smaller pieces around 8-10 minutes.
For stove top
In a large frying pan, heat the oil (1 cup for shallow frying) over medium-high heat.
Shallow fry the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes, before turning and cooking for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy and cooked through.
Remove from the pan and place the pieces on a plate with paper towel, to drain the excess oil.
Layer the crispy chicken pieces, salads and avocado sauce over warm tortillas. Top with crumbled feta, sriracha, coriander and lime juice.
- Buttermilk is used to tenderise and flavour the chicken all the way through. Soaking the chicken for as long as possible results in juicy, super tender strips! For best results, soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight, if possible. Otherwise, at least 1-2 hours is recommended, but not essential if you are short on time.
- If air frying or oven baking, covering the chicken pieces evenly with oil spray prevents them from being 'floury' when cooked.
- All of the elements can be made ahead, to save time. Soak the chicken ahead of time in an airtight container. The salads can all be pre-chopped and the avocado sauce made the day before.
- The crispy chicken can be shallow fried on the stove top for crispiest results. For a healthier option, oven baking or air frying reduces the fat content and still allows for a crispy coating.
- Soft, ripe avocados are best for the avocado sauce. Under-ripe, hard avocados will not blend into the sauce and will create lumps. You can speed up the ripening process by placing hard avocados in a sealed paper or plastic bag for 1-2 days.
- For extra spicy chicken tacos, add extra sriracha sauce and a ¼ tsp chilli powder to the buttermilk before soaking the chicken. Top with jalapenos and extra sriracha or hot sauce!
- For healthier wraps, switch the flour tortillas for mountain or pita bread. Or, use lettuce cup wraps instead!
- This recipe makes 10 tacos, but the quantities can be multiplied to feed more.
- The chicken coating can be skipped and the chicken seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika and grilled instead.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1507mg | Potassium: 514mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 627IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 3mg