Healthy Chocolate Crackles
A regular fixture at birthday party celebrations across Australia, classic chocolate crackles area nostalgic (and sugary!) treat loved by all. This version is a healthier twist on the classic recipe that taste just as good, but are much better for you! Healthy chocolate crackles with coconut oil (no copha), cacao and puffed rice are delicious, easy to make and vegan friendly. The perfect 5 ingredient treat for kids parties without the sugar rush!
Servings: 12 large crackles (or 16 small)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup rice malt syrup or other sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- ½ cup desiccated coconut or shredded coconut
- 4 cups organic puffed rice or Rice Bubbles, puffed quinoa or millet.
- melted dark chocolate ½ cup
Stir the coconut oil and rice malt syrup together in a saucepan over low heat, until the coconut oil melts. Don’t overheat or boil. Remove from the heat.
Whisk in the cocoa and coconut until combined. Allow to cool slightly.
Place the puffed rice or Rice Bubbles in a large mixing bowl. Carefully pour the coconut oil mixture over the top of the puffed rice and stir to combine.
Spoon the mixture into cupcake trays lined with cupcake cases, stirring the mixture in the bowl occasionally to prevent the coconut oil from settling at the bottom. Refrigerate until firm and set (at least 1 hour, ideally 4 hours or overnight). Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
- Due to the coconut oil used in this recipe as the binding agent, these healthy chocolate crackles are not as sturdy as the classic version made with copha and icing sugar. They are best served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Although, even at room temperature, the paper cupcake cases will hold the delicious contents together!
- For some tasty flavour additions, try adding a little vanilla or melted dark chocolate (½ cup). Or even add a little peanut butter to the mixture, if you don’t require your crackles to be nut free.
- For chocolate crackle slice, simply place the mixture into a slice tin and press flat, rather than spooning into individual cases. Top with some melted dark chocolate and refrigerate until firmly set before slicing.
- The liquid coconut oil and cocoa mixture from these crackles will settle in the bottom of the bowl while spooning into cases, so stir occasionally to ensure the mixture is distributed evenly. A little coconut oil will settle at the bottom of the cases too, but that’s fine!
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Sodium: 9mg | Potassium: 34mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg