Crispy, compact and full of flavour, these mini pizza muffins are super simple to make and perfect for a healthy breakfast, lunchbox treat or snack on the run! Using a toasted English muffin base and pizza sauce, all smothered in gooey mozzarella, the flavours and toppings can all be easily customised to suit your taste, to satisfy even the fussiest eaters!
- 6 English muffins white or wholemeal, sliced in half (12 total)
- ¾ cup pizza sauce homemade, or store-bought
- 1-2 cups mozzarella or pizza cheese, shredded
Plus one cup extra of shredded pizza toppings. These ones are optional, but choose your favourites!
- shredded ham
- cherry tomatoes sliced
- capsicum thinly sliced
Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C (356 F). Line a baking tray or pizza tray with baking paper.
Place the muffin halves into a toaster and toast until they are lightly golden and slightly crisp. No need to over-toast, as the muffins will continue to cook in the oven.
Arrange the toasted muffins top side up on the baking tray.
Using a spoon, spread 1-2 teaspoons of pizza sauce onto each muffin.
Add the shredded cheese and a small amount of additional toppings.
Bake for around 10 minutes, or until the crust is crisp, the cheese has melted and the toppings have cooked. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly, or serve while hot. Enjoy!
- Can I freeze muffin pizzas? Yes! Firstly, allow the mini pizzas to cool at room temperature. Then, place them on a flat tray and freeze for around 1-2 hours. Then, transfer them to a large, air-tight container and freeze for up to 3 months. They can be defrosted and eaten cold in lunchboxes, or you can re-heat them in the microwave or oven until hot.
- To re-heat from frozen, pre-heat your oven to 200 C (374F). Lay the frozen muffins topping side up onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
- To prevent a soggy base, I recommend lightly toasting the muffins in a toaster before adding the sauce and toppings. A light toasting is all that is required.
- You won’t need many toppings, try sticking to 2-3 toppings per pizza so that the muffins don’t get overloaded.
- Storage; store the cooled muffins in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to a week.
- This recipe makes 12 muffins, but the quantities can be easily multiplied to make more!
Calories: 99kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 95mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 129IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg