Healthy Burrito Bowl
No need to go out for your favourite Mexican flavours! This healthy burrito bowl is packed with juicy seasoned chicken, fresh salad, rice, homemade guacamole and more! Perfect for prepping ahead for an easy weeknight dinner or to take to lunch!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- olive oil
For the chicken seasoning
- ¼ tsp allspice ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp oregano dried or fresh
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
To serve ** choose from any or all of the following **
- guacamole use store bought, or try this easy version here!
- salsa use store bought, or try this 5 minute salsa recipe.
- 2 cups corn kernels cooked (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 2 cups black beans
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes chopped
- 2 capsicum red and yellow, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cups steamed rice
- lime wedges
- coriander torn
- tortilla chips
For the chicken
Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C.
Stir all of the spice ingredients together in a small bowl. Rub the spices into the chicken breasts until they are completely covered. Heat a medium frying pan over high heat and add the olive oil.
Add the chicken breasts to the pan and sear on both sides for approximately 2-3 minutes each side. Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and place them into an oven tray.
Bake for around 20 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through the middle. Cooking times will vary slightly depending on your oven and the size of the chicken breasts. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.**Alternatively, you can chop the chicken breasts before coating them with the spices and cook them completely in the pan, rather than oven baking.
Place the sliced chicken into bowls and arrange all of the salad ingredients around the chicken. Decorate with scoops of fresh guacamole, salsa, sliced avocado, coriander, tortilla chips and lime wedges depending on your preferences.
- This recipe uses chicken breast, but you can also add ground beef, steak, prawns, tofu, pork or grilled fish. Coat your protein of choice in the same spices as above and cook according to the protein you have chosen.
- Meal prep - if you are short on time, burrito bowls to the rescue! They can be prepared ahead of time and eaten for lunch or dinner. Cook the chicken ahead and allow it to cool before storing it in an airtight container. Store all of the sliced veggies in an airtight container. I recommend leaving out any "dips" or sauces like guacamole and salsa and adding them when you are ready to eat.
- Storage - burrito bowls will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days and can be assembled ahead of time for a quick and convenient lunch or dinner.
- To save time, the chicken can be sliced into smaller pieces, coated in spices and pan-fried rather than oven baked. But if you have the time, baking keeps the chicken super juicy!
- To keep things on the lighter side, you can swap sour cream for Greek yoghurt. For keto burrito bowls, swap the white rice for cauliflower rice and leave out the corn.
- Serve into individual bowls, or add to one large bowl that the whole family can serve from. This recipe serves 4, but can be easily multiplied to serve more.
Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 592mg | Potassium: 1610mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2509IU | Vitamin C: 99mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 4mg