Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa
This is the best salsa recipe ever! It is super fresh, easy to make and so delicious. Packed with tomatoes and fresh ingredients like jalapenos, onions, lime and cumin, this easy salsa takes only 5 minutes to make and is perfect for nachos, corn chips, wraps and Mexican food. It also makes a beautiful, healthy dip with sliced vegetables for parties or school lunchboxes.
- 3 cups canned tomatoes 2 x 400 gram cans
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 jalapeno chillies chopped, either fresh or pickled jalapenos are fine!
- juice from one lime approx. 2-3 tbsp.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves raw or roasted, peeled.
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup fresh coriander (cilantro). This is optional!
Drain a small amount of liquid from the canned tomatoes before measuring, to prevent the salsa from becoming too runny.
Add all of the ingredients together in a food processor and blend in short pulses until all of the ingredients are combined, but the salsa is still slightly chunky. Avoid over blending, as the salsa should still have some lumps and texture.
Serve immediately, or place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days, until required.
- Control the heat by using more or less chillies. The heat level will be determined by the type of chilli that you use. If you prefer a milder salsa, use a mild chilli like cayenne, poblano or bullhorn, or leave it out entirely. If you like your salsa on the spicier side, use habanero, bird’s eye or jalapeno. You can also add a little chilli powder for extra kick.
- Make the salsa ahead if required and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- This recipe makes about 4 cups and can easily be multiplied to feed a crowd.
- Adjust the flavours to suit your tastes. Once blended, taste the salsa and add extra lime juice, salt or chilli to taste.
Calories: 38kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 412mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 278IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg