These juicy homemade cheeseburgers are worth staying home for! A perfectly seasoned beef patty, covered with melted cheese and topped with pickles, onion, ketchup and mustard- all encased in a soft brioche bun. Who wants a cheeseburger that tastes better than your favourite takeaway version?! Perfect for family burger night- or any time.
Everybody loves a good cheeseburger. And it’s not hard to know why! One bite of the soft, slightly sweet bun with a perfectly seasoned meat patty, the perfect combination of sauces and a burst of crisp pickle in these homemade burgers and anyone would be hooked!
This recipe for homemade cheeseburgers truly makes the BEST cheeseburgers EVER. If I say so, they rival the cheeseburgers you will find in any good burger joint. In fact, they are almost a complete taste-alike to one of the most popular takeaway chains- but in a better, more flavourful and homemade way. They are incredibly juicy, a little bit greasy, packed full of flavour… and completely addtictive! Serve them up at home with some crispy fries or wedges and ditch the takeout!
If you have only ever tried homemade burger patties packed with breadcrumbs, eggs and spices, give these incredibly simple, mouth-watering patties a try and you will never go back!
Below, I will share my best tips and tricks to end up with the best homemade cheeseburgers every time, along with tips on how to make homemade burger patties that will blow your mind!
How to Make Homemade Cheeseburgers
Over time, I have learned that for great burger patties, simple is best. The best patty requires nothing more than ground beef, salt and pepper. This recipe for homemade cheeseburgers uses the following ingredients;
- Ground beef; the fattier, the better. See my tips below for the best every burger patties!
- Salt and pepper. Don’t be shy, use a generous amount!
- Olive oil. A little olive oil for cooking.
- Brioche buns.
- American burger cheese. Use a proper burger cheese from the supermarket- or try cheddar, tasty or Colby.
- Brown onion. Finely chop the onion as small as you can.
- American mustard.
- Dill pickles.
How to Make Homemade Burger Patties
Follow these tips to master the perfect “better than takeaway” cheeseburger, every time. You will be holding one of these classic, juicy cheeseburgers in your hands in no time!
Use a cheaper beef mince.
Hey. Who are we kidding? Cheeseburgers are not the healthiest of foods. But when you are eating one, you want it to be the best! With burgers, choose a fatty beef mince. Cheaper beef mince has a higher fat content and ensures you’ll end up with a juicier burger patty.
For the patties, keep it simple.
I used to add eggs to my minced meat for burger patties. And sauces and spices. Sometimes even breadcrumbs!
But for burgers, simple is best. All you need is a (very) generous amount of salt and pepper for your patties. Nothing else. Trust me! All you need is a nice fatty beef mince, salt and pepper.
Roll the patties in your hands and gently flatten to the right size. They will shrink a little while cooking, so make them slightly larger than the buns.
Only flip once.
Like a perfect steak, burger patties only need to be flipped once. Too much flipping and the meat will dry out and fall apart. Use a little oil on the hotplate and a high heat. Let a crust form on the bottom and then flip. A medium burger will be done in around eight minutes and will have a perfectly crispy shell.
Don’t press the patty!
Don’t press the burger patty during cooking. This will push out all of the juices. Handle as little as possible during the cooking process.
Use the right cheese.
American cheese, burger cheese slices or a good quality tasty cheese are perfect for cheeseburgers. If you want more bite, used an aged cheddar. American cheese slices can be found in most supermarkets.
For the most gooey, deliciously melty cheese, add the cheese to the burger patty in the last few minutes of cooking and let it melt and completely over the patty.
Find the perfect bun.
The best buns I have found for our cheeseburgers (unless I’m baking them at home) are the soft brioche buns from Aldi supermarkets. They are perfectly soft and slightly sweet and pair perfectly with the savoury meat and tangy ketchup. For cheeseburgers, a soft bun is preferable to a crisp or crumbly bun.
Time to Assemble!
Once you have the perfect, crispy burger patty, it’s time to assemble your burger!
- Place the burger patty covered in melted cheese on top of the brioche bun.
- Sprinkle the chopped brown onion over the top, followed by a layer of sliced pickles.
- Add ketchup and mustard and place the bun over the top.
How many calories are in a cheeseburger?
Cheeseburgers are an indulgence food, especially when served with crunchy, crispy, salty fries. Knowing how many calories they contain can help you be informed whenever you want to indulge!
The great thing is, homemade burgers contain less calories than fast food chains and you get to control exactly what goes into them.
These cheeseburgers contain around 696 calories, 48 grams of fat and 37 grams of protein. The results will vary depending on the type of cheese, meat and buns you use.
They are also 100% more tasty than takeaway!
For some other “better than takeaway” family meals that you will love, try these recipes!
- chicken and cashew stir fry
- beef, rocket and green tomato chutney burgers
- the ultimate crispy fried chicken
- easy BBQ pork tacos
- grilled chicken burger by Cassie at Cook it Real Good
- teriyaki chicken burger by Belly Rumbles
- prawn sliders with sriracha mayo by Sugar Salt Magic
- cheesy bean burgers by Little Peeps Eats
If you try these amazing homemade cheeseburgers, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment or review below, or send me a message. For more food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
- 500 grams beef mince (cheaper ground beef with more fat is best)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices cheese (American, tasty, aged cheddar or Colby)
- 4 buns brioche or burger buns
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 4 dill pickles sliced
- 8 tsp ketchup
- 4 tsp American mustard
- Place the beef mince and a generous amount of salt and pepper into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the meat in your hands until combined and separate into four equal portions.
- Flatten the meat into patties, being careful not to break the edges. Rest on a board or plate until you are ready to cook.
- Use a flat barbeque hotplate or large frying pan and heat the oil over high heat. Place the flattened patties into the pan and cook until a crust forms on the bottom (around 4 minutes).
- Flip the patties and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add two cheese slices to each patty and allow the cheese to melt over the top for a further two minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the patties to rest for at least 4 minutes.
- To assemble, add the meat patties to the brioche buns and top with the chopped onion, sliced pickles, ketchup and mustard. Serve immediately with chips, wedges and extra pickles. Enjoy!
Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes, freebies and more delivered straight to your inbox.
[products limit=”4″ columns=”4″ orderby=”rand”]