Forget takeaway and try these homemade crispy chicken burgers at home instead! Made with a soft brioche bun and filled with crispy fried chicken, a mild (or hot!) sriracha mayo, bright coleslaw and crunchy pickles, these easy, homemade burgers are the best comfort food you can get without even having to leave the house!
These crispy chicken burgers are the ultimate in comfort food. Loaded up with flavour packed and punchy ingredients, they are quick and simple enough to make for a midweek meal, while also being great for gatherings and game days too!
If you have been following along at home for a while, you will know that I LOVE making homemade takeaway food, but I especially love a good recipe for homemade burgers. Aside from being very simple and versatile, they are just so juicy and so delicious! And the flavour and topping combinations are endless, making them one of my favourite easy meal options and a great go-to option to make when feeding a crowd.
Give them a try for your next family burger night!
How to make crispy chicken burgers
These mouth-watering burgers are made with chicken breast fillets that have been coated in an easy make-ahead spice mix and pan fried to crispy, golden perfection.
The easy chicken coating in this recipe is my favourite go-to recipe. I always keep extra in my pantry at home. There are a lot of herbs and spices, but the beauty is that it can be made ahead and easily stored. Making it in bulk and storing it in an airtight container means that I have an easy chicken coating to use on busy weeknights, or any time the craving for fried chicken arises. And let’s be honest, that’s all the time!
The chicken in this recipe is dredged through an egg wash first before being coated, but if you have time you can also soak the chicken breast in buttermilk as per this recipe here, for extra juicy and tender chicken!
My preferred burger bun of choice is the super soft brioche buns sold in Aldi supermarkets, but use any type of brioche or soft hamburger bun available in your area.
These burgers are made with a punchy and bright sriracha slaw and pickles which complement the herbs and spices in the chicken perfectly. But the beauty of these burgers is that you can also add your favourite burger toppings too! Try some crispy bacon, cheese, tomato, iceberg lettuce or sliced onions and personalise it to suit your tastes.
To make these burgers;
To make the crispy fried chicken for these burgers, use chicken breast fillets. Slice them in half and dredge them through eggs and then add them to the coating mix. Shallow fry until cooked through.
Store bought chilli mayo can be used for this recipe, but I find it just as easy to make a quick sriracha mayo by using ⅓ cup kewpie mayo and add sriracha chilli sauce to taste.
Simply add a layer of sriracha mayo (or use store bought chilli mayo instead) to the bottom of the bun. Then layer the crispy fried chicken, followed by the coleslaw, pickles and the bun lid.
To turn up the heat on your burgers, add more sriracha mayo to suit your taste. You can also add a little sriracha or chilli powder to the chicken before coating, if you like your chicken spicy.
There is nothing fancy or complicated about this recipe. The chicken coating can be prepared well ahead of time and the chicken can either be soaked in buttermilk, or just dredged through an egg instead if you are short on time and still want a delicious burger.
Serve them on their own, or with some oven baked potato or sweet potato fries.
More ‘takeout’ at home recipes
If you love making fake takeaway/”fakeaway” at home, try these other amazing recipes;
Thanks for reading! If you try this crispy chicken burger recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment or review below, or send me a message. For more food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
Crispy chicken burger recipe
- 600 grams chicken breast fillets, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- canola oil or vegetable oil, for frying
For the easy chicken coating (make ahead and store in the pantry, ready to go!)
- 1 ¾ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup cornflour cornstarch
- 1-2 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp dried thyme
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- ⅓ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp chilli powder optional
- 2 tbsp onion powder
For the coleslaw
- ¼ purple cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots grated
- ⅓ cup kewpie mayo
- sriracha chilli sauce to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander cilantro
- 4 brioche burger buns or soft rolls
- 4 large pickles sliced
- extra kewpie mayo and sriracha mixed to taste
- Slice the chicken breast lengthways and pat dry with a paper towel. Soak in the beaten egg.
- Keep half of the chicken coating aside and store in an airtight container for next time. Coat each chicken piece in the remaining flour coating until thickly coated.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (or use a deep fryer if you have one). You can test the oil temperature by carefully dropping a small piece of chicken coating into the pan. If it sizzles and bubbles around the coating, the oil is ready.
- Carefully add the chicken pieces and cook, turning halfway until the chicken is golden, crispy and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a paper towel or wire rack to rest.
For the coleslaw
- While the chicken is resting, add the coleslaw ingredients together in a bowl and stir until combined. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix a little extra mayo and sriracha to make a spicy mayo. Control the heat to your preferred taste.
To assemble the burgers
- Place a little of the chilli mayo on the bottom burger bun. Place the chicken over the top and spoon the coleslaw over the chicken.
- Add the pickles, any additional ingredients and the remaining burger lid. Serve with crispy potato or sweet potato fries. Enjoy!
Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes delivered straight to your inbox.