Soft in the middle with slightly crispy, buttery edges, these corn fritters with creamed corn are fast, easy to make and use simple pantry staples! Bursts of sweet corn and salty feta balance perfectly to make these fritters ideal for dinners, a light vegetarian lunch or lunchbox filler that the whole family will love. But be sure to make a double batch, because they will disappear quickly!
This easy corn fritter recipe is one that I know by heart, as I have been making it for probably 20 years. In fact, they are so simple that I never measured out the ingredients until it came time to write this blog post! This is a great recipe to memorise so you can make them any time you desire!
I make these fritters at least every couple of weeks and they are a favourite in our home, because they are quick and easy (you can have a batch whipped up in 15 minutes), freezer friendly and make a great snack for kids and adults alike! They are also made with basic pantry ingredients and adapted to suit what you have in your fridge and cupboard. If you have a can of creamed corn hiding in your cupboard, you can make these fritters!
These easy fritters make a great recipe to cook with kids. Your little ones can help measure and count ingredients, add everything to the bowl and help stir. Older kids can even help with chopping the spring onions or chives and cook the fritters, under supervision.
How to make corn fritters
Do you love one bowl recipes? Then you will love these easy corn fritters! They are made with a handful of simple pantry ingredients including;
- Creamed corn. Keep a few tins handy to make these fritters whenever you like!
- Corn kernels. Either fresh, frozen or canned is fine.
- Milk. Or buttermilk for extra soft fritters.
- Spring onions or chives.
- Feta. Crumbled feta cheese gives the perfect salty balance in these fritters. But if you don’t have any, a handful of tasty cheese works well too.
- Self raising flour.
- Salt and pepper.
- Butter. For light frying. You could use a healthier oil like olive, but the butter gives a beautiful flavour and makes the edges of the fritters irresistibly crunchy.
To make these corn fritters with feta, simply place all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and stir until combined. Then, heat a little butter in a pan and cook spoonfuls of the fritters in batches until golden brown, turning halfway. Store the batches on a few sheets of paper towel while you cook the remaining fritters.
While these corn fritters taste perfect on their own, you can also dress them up by adding any of these ingredients;
- Grated zucchini. Squeeze out the excess water from the zucchini first and add ½ cup to the mixture before cooking.
- Grated carrot.
- Crispy bacon or chorizo.
- Coriander. Add a handful of chopped coriander before cooking.
For an amazing breakfast, try these corn fritters topped with fresh avocado, smoked salmon and cream cheese or scrambled eggs and bacon. Or for a simple vegetarian lunch with salad. For dinner, top them with homemade guacamole, salsa or good old tomato sauce!
These fritters taste amazing hot or cold. Add them plain to lunchboxes or pack them for an easy work snack… or if you have no willpower like me, eat them hot, straight from the pan!
How to store corn fritters
Corn fritters can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and re-heated in the microwave or pan (or eaten cold). They can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just wrap them in paper and place them in a good quality airtight container.
These fritters can be placed directly into lunchboxes from the freezer and will thaw by snack time, ready to eat!
Try these other easy pantry staple recipes;
If you try these corn fritters with creamed corn and feta, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment or review below, or send me a message. To find some food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
To save time and money on healthy school (and work!) snacks, see my 50 Healthy School Snacks E-BOOK which contains a bonus Guide to Making 2 Minute Lunches.
Corn Fritters with Creamed Corn and Feta
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 cups creamed corn 1 x 400g can
- ⅓ cup corn kernels fresh, frozen or canned
- 80 grams feta cheese crumbled
- 1 spring onion finely chopped (or chives)
- salt and pepper
- butter, or oil of choice for frying
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a generous amount of salt and pepper and mix until just combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a teaspoon of butter to the pan and melt. When the butter is bubbling gently, add tablespoons of the batter into the pan, ensuring enough space so that the fritters are not touching. I cook around 6-7 at a time. For larger fritters, add two tablespoons of batter per fritter.
- Cook for around two minutes on one side, or until crisp and golden brown. Flip the fritter and continue cooking on low heat until the fritter is cooked through (1-2 minutes). Continue cooking in batches until the batter is gone. Rest the cooked fritters on a paper towel until they are all cooked.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes, freebies and more delivered straight to your inbox.