Taco night just got way better with this low-carb keto taco seasoning! Making your own homemade taco seasoning mix from scratch is quicker, easier, cheaper, healthier and more flavoursome. And the best thing is that this DIY taco seasoning can be made in minutes with just a few easy pantry spices!
If you are following a low-carb diet or want to keep your meals additive free, finding a healthy and keto friendly taco seasoning can be hard! Most store-bought taco seasonings contain fillers, cornstarch or other ingredients that are hard to pronounce and aren’t that healthy.
Why use packaged seasoning when you can easily make your own at home? All you need is some common spices that you probably already have in your pantry and you can have the perfect seasoning for tacos, veggies, meat, seafood, soups, salads and more.
Creating your own taco mix at home allows you to control the ingredients that you eat (no added sugars, starches, MSG or additives) and it is a much cheaper way to enjoy Mexican food, because you can make in bulk!
This recipe is always made in large batches and stored in bulk in my home, along with this easy chicken coating recipe and green curry paste, for super easy and ready-to-go weeknight dinners. Making your own spices in bulk will save you so much time in the kitchen and cost you a fraction of the price of packaged spice mixes.
You’ll never buy store bought seasoning again!
Homemade taco seasoning ingredients;
This is a great spice for use on any type of protein. Whether it is slow cooked, pressure cooked, barbequed or grilled, it makes an incredibly versatile seasoning. It can also be adapted to suit your tastes. Simply add or subtract as much of the spices as you like, according to your preferences.
To make this healthy taco seasoning recipe, you will need the following spices;
- Paprika; I use sweet paprika, but smoked paprika works too. Choose your favourite!
- Chilli. This is not a hot spice mix, but can be if you prefer a little heat! Dried red chilli flakes add a warmth and extra flavour. Control the heat by adding chilli to suit your tastes. If you prefer a milder taco seasoning, the chilli can be omitted entirely. Dried chilli powder or cayenne works too.
- Garlic and onion powders for depth and flavour.
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to season.
Simply place the ingredients in a large jar, close the lid and shake! The seasoning is instantly ready to sprinkle on vegetables, chicken, beef or seafood!
How long does taco seasoning last?
Keep these incredible, flavour packed spices in a mason jar or airtight container and they should last up to 12 months in your pantry!
So, multiply the recipe and make a large batch, ready to prepare your favourite Mexican dishes, any time!
Try this easy keto taco seasoning in these dishes;
If you try this homemade seasoning recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment or review below, or send me a message. For more food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
Healthy Keto Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika sweet or smoked
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp onion powder or dried onions
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- dried chilli flakes to taste (around 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients together in a mason jar or airtight container, add the lid and shake until combined. Use around 2 tablespoons per 500 grams of meat, or more to desired taste.
- Store in a jar in a cool, dry place for up to 12 months. Enjoy!