This bright and flavourful vegetarian chilli recipe is packed full of nutritious vegetables, beans and spices for a meat-free take on a classic favourite. This healthy, hearty, irresistible chilli is made with easy pantry staples and is seriously the BEST!
Try a big bowl of this comforting, nourishing chilli for your next family dinner. On your table in less than 10 minutes, this quick and easy chilli is amazing on its own or served with rice, grains, crispy sweet potato fries, baked potatoes or corn chips.
Even the staunchest of meat lovers won’t miss the meat in this recipe, because it is hearty and filling and packed full of punchy flavour. It is made with the classic chilli flavours that we all know and love and is naturally gluten free and vegan too, if your choose your toppings carefully.
Due to most of the ingredients being common pantry staples, this recipe is also affordable and so fast to make. In fact, only ten minutes stand between you and a big bowl of this deliciously warming chilli! Because of its simplicity, this recipe is a regular in our home when we are short on time or want something healthy that all of our kids will eat.
While this vegetarian chilli recipe is incredibly simple, the flavours are anything but. If you don’t have fresh vegetables on hand, canned beans and tomatoes are nutritious and filling and provide plenty of plant based protein. The smoky and spicy flavours are perfect with the tomato base and the heat can be controlled to suit your crowd.
Vegetarian Chilli ingredients
To make this easy chilli recipe, you will need;
- Vegetables. Onion, garlic and red capsicum to keep things simple. But you can also substitute for whatever you have in your pantry. Carrots, celery and sweet potato are good options too. If you add loads of extra veggies, also add a little vegetable stock or another can of tomatoes and some extra spices to compensate. (And if you don’t have any fresh vegetables on hand, leave them out completely or use frozen veggies!).
- Canned tomatoes. Use diced, canned tomatoes from your pantry.
- Passata. Or, use an additional can of tomatoes if you don’t have any passata in your pantry.
- Canned beans. There is plenty of plant based protein in this healthy chilli. I use black beans and chickpeas. But canned lentils are another healthy option for a fuller, more “meaty” texture. Choose your favourites!
- Seasoning. Smoky paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, dried chillies or chilli powder, salt and pepper. Control the heat by altering the chilli amounts to suit your taste.
How to Make Vegetarian Chilli
To make this vegetarian chilli recipe on the stovetop, simply follow these easy steps;
- Cook the onion, garlic and capsicum together in a pot with a little olive oil.
- Add the pantry spices and stir until fragrant.
- Add all of the other ingredients and bring to a simmer. Once heated through, the chilli is ready to serve!
- Taste and season with extra salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add your favourite toppings and serve!
Although this easy chilli recipe only takes ten minutes on the stovetop, you could also make this recipe in a slow cooker or pressure cooker. Simply sautée the onion, garlic and capsicum and then place all of the ingredients together in the pot. Slow cook on ‘low’ heat for 4 hours or cook under pressure for 15 minutes.
Take your vegetarian chilli to the next level by adding your favourite toppings. Choose from chopped avocado, tasty cheese, sour cream, sriracha, crushed corn chips, coriander (cilantro), lime wedges or tortilla strips. Our favourite side with this veggie chilli is these sweet potato fries.
When it comes to chilli toppings, you can never have too many! Of course, if you are making a vegan or gluten free chilli, choose your toppings according to your requirements.
Other easy pantry and freezer staple dinners;
Vegetarian Chilli Recipe (Easy, Homemade)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions small, red or brown, diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 1 x 400 gram can
- 1 cup passata or use an additional can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans 1 x 400 gram can
- 1 can chickpeas 1 x 400 gram can, or use a can of lentils instead
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika ground
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper can be omitted to reduce heat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1-2 red chilli chopped, for extra kick!
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic, capsicum and onion and cook, stirring, until soft.
- Add the spices, oregano, salt and some ground black pepper and stir until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer. Once heated through, the chilli is ready! Serve in a bowl with your favourite toppings and sides. Try rice, quinoa, chopped avocado, cilantro, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, tasty cheese and/or a wedge of lime. Enjoy!
For more inspiration and a selection of recipes for quick, easy and delicious weeknight dinners, see my recipes and Time Saving Tips for Speedy Weeknight Dinners here.
Thanks for reading! Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes delivered straight to your inbox.