This creamy potato salad with homemade dressing is the perfect side dish for parties, BBQs or family gatherings. It is super creamy and absolutely packed full of flavour- and once you taste it, you’ll never go back to bottled dressing!
The best go-to recipe for creamy, zesty potato salad.
Making your own potato salad dressing is super easy. In fact, the whole dressing takes less than five minutes to put together! And when you add chopped eggs and crispy pancetta, you have a delicious, flavourful potato salad that will quickly become a family favourite.
I hope that this recipe will become your go-to recipe for Christmas, holidays or special occasions too.
Ingredients for homemade potato salad;
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this classic, creamy potato salad:
- Red baby potatoes: I use baby red or Russet potatoes and prefer to leave the skin on. Feel free to remove the skin if you choose, but it adds extra texture.
- Pancetta: Or crispy bacon. Pancetta adds a deliciously salty flavour.
- Hard boiled eggs: Simply cook them on the stove – they can be prepared ahead of time if required.
- Red onion and spring onions: For a little crunch and bite.
- Sour cream: This adds to the creaminess of the dressing and tastes AH-MAZING.
- Dijon mustard
- White wine vinegar: Or use apple cider or white vinegar if you don’t have white wine.
- Dill: Dill, chives and parsley are all classic potato salad herbs.
- Garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Which type of potato should I use for potato salad?;
Steer clear of starchier potatoes that will fall apart and become mushy during the cooking process. Ideally, look for a potato that is waxier and has thinner skin. These types of potato will hold their shape when boiled. Red, Russet, baby or Desiree, Kipfler and Nicola are great choices. I love using baby red potatoes for their size and flavour.
How to make homemade potato salad dressing;
This creamy potato salad dressing is made with a combination of mayonnaise and sour cream and a combination of seasonings and herbs. And it is the easiest recipe you can possibly make!
Simply stir all of the ingredients together in a little bowl and you are good to go. This dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
Potato Salad Dressing Variations: Mix the flavours up according to your own personal taste. You can add a little smoked paprika or some gherkin/pickle relish or use wholegrain mustard instead of dijon if you prefer. You could also add some finely chopped celery for extra crunch.
How to make potato salad;
This potato salad recipe is SUPER easy!
- Prepare the potatoes: If using baby potatoes, leave them whole or chop them in half depending on their size. If using larger potatoes, cut them to desired sized chunks. Add them to boiling water and cook until tender but still holding their shape (around 15 minutes). Drain and allow to cool.
- Prepare the dressing: Stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, dijon, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chives and chopped dill. Mix until combined and place in the fridge.
- Mix together: Mix the cooled potatoes, dressing, chopped red onion, cooked pancetta and chopped hard boiled eggs.
- Place the potato salad in the fridge to cool completely. 2-3 hours minimum is best. Top with chopped parsley and spring onions to garnish and add any extra seasoning to taste.
If you love this creamy potato salad with homemade dressing, try these other delicious salads that I have listed below, including some from my fellow food bloggers;
- Family sized chicken burrito bowls
- Pepper and sesame beef noodle salad
- Italian style pasta salad with salami
- Blood orange and rocket salad
- Asian noodle salad
- Roast pumpkin and goats cheese salad
- Smashed cucumber salad from Another Food Blogger
- Marinated tomato salad from It’s Not Complicated Recipes
- Beetroot and Feta salad from Mrs Jones’s Kitchen
- Smoked salmon pasta salad from Sprinkles and Sprouts.
Creamy Potato Salad with Homemade Dressing
- 1 kg potatoes red, whole baby (or chopped large)
- 150 gram pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion red, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions
- 2-3 sprigs parsley to garnish
For the homemade dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp dill fresh, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp chives fresh, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper ground, black
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch paprika optional
- Place the potatoes into a large pot of boiling water and cook for around 15 minutes, or until tender but not overcooked. Drain the potatoes and allow to cool. Set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the eggs into a small pot of boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow the eggs to sit for a few minutes before transferring to a bowl of cold water. Allow to cool before peeling and chopping.
- Meanwhile, cook the pancetta (or bacon) in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until
crispy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
To prepare the dressing
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and place in
To make the potato salad
- Place the cooled potatoes into a large salad bowl and top with the homemade dressing,
chopped eggs, pancetta, onion and spring onion. Stir to combine and add a little more seasoning if required.
- Garnish with a little extra chopped parsley and cover. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, until completely cool. Enjoy!