Try making your own healthy sausage rolls at home with this super easy recipe! These flaky, juicy and healthy homemade sausage rolls are an indisputable family favourite. Delicious and kid-friendly, they are perfect for everyday baking, party finger food, family dinners or as a special lunch box treat.
You don’t need a special occasion to try these healthy homemade sausage rolls. With delicious, crispy puff pastry and a super juicy pork filling, this will become your go-to recipe for any time you crave a sausage roll fix!
Nothing tastes as good as a hot sausage roll, straight from the oven. Add a big squirt of tomato sauce and you are in savoury heaven! My kids adore sausage rolls and will eat them by the handful, especially at parties! So I was eager to make a healthier version. This is the result. A homemade sausage rolls recipe kids and adults alike will love.
How to make healthy sausage rolls;
If you think that making your own sausage rolls is tricky, this super easy sausage roll recipe will change your mind. There is nothing difficult about this recipe. In fact, all of the filling ingredients are placed into one bowl and mixed together. Easy!
Simply mix the filing together and roll along the portions of puff pastry. Then roll to enclose the filling, cut and bake. Once they are ready, all you need is a big bowl of tomato sauce to dunk them in! (Homemade tomato sauce is a healthier alternative).
What is the best mince for sausage rolls?
Sausage rolls are commonly made with sausage mince. While delicious, sausage mince is full of fat, salt and preservatives.
This sausage roll recipe is a healthier alternative. They are made with pork mince, which is lower in fat than the commonly used sausage mince. Alternatively, you can use chicken, beef or lamb mince. Add in some hidden veggies and tasty spices and you end up with a more nutritious version of the classic favourite. In fact, if I can say so, these sausage rolls have a flavour that tops their traditionally unhealthy counterparts!
These sausage rolls are as healthy as possible, while still using puff pastry of course. If you’d like an even healthier alternative, you can easily replace the pastry for mountain bread. The recipe can be followed in exactly the same way. Healthy sausage rolls with mountain bread are surprisingly delicious too!
Can you freeze sausage rolls?
Yes, sausage rolls can be easily stored in the freezer! They can either be stored cooked, or uncooked. While either is a good option, I like to cook mine first and then freeze them. This way, I have a quick family dinner or lunchbox option on hand that can be eaten either hot or cold.
Simply store the sausage rolls in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months, separating any layers with a little baking paper. To re-heat, allow them to de-frost and then place into the oven at 180Cº (356F) until warmed through. If raw, allow to thaw and then continue to follow the recipe instructions to finish baking.
Being freezer friendly, these delicious sausage rolls make a great protein and vegetable packed sandwich alternative for lunchboxes and a great option for healthy party food.
Here are some other flavour packed, healthier lunchbox or party food recipes that you will love;
If you love these healthy homemade sausage rolls, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment or review below, or send me a message. For more food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
Healthy Homemade Sausage Rolls
- 1 kg pork mince
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely grated
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 eggs plus one yolk for the glaze
- 4 sheets puff pastry room temperature
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds or poppy seeds, for decorating
- Pre-heat oven to 200C° and line two oven trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the filling ingredients and mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until completely combined.
- Separate the pork filling into eight even portions.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry in half, making a total of eight portions of pastry.
- Spoon each portion of pork filling lengthways along the middle of each pastry portion. Shape the filling into a long sausage shape down the length of the pastry.
- Roll the pastry to completely enclose the filling. Use a small amount of water to seal the seam/edges so that the pastry holds together while baking. Repeat for all of the pastry and filling portions.
- Place the rolls seam side down and brush the tops with the remaining egg yolk. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds and cut each roll into five equal portions. (Making a total of 40 sausage rolls).
- Place the sausage rolls onto the baking trays and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden and the filling is completely cooked through. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading! Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
[products limit=”4″ columns=”4″ orderby=”rand”]