These crackly, chewy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Butter are simply irresistible! Festive and utterly delicious, they are perfect for Christmas baking (or any time of year!). With a crisp, crackled coating and a chewy, fudgy chocolate middle, these little cookies are enough to satisfy any chocolate lover!
I was introduced to these beautifully gooey, rich chocolate snow biscuits about 15 years ago. When I was younger, I worked in a café that served them and after one bite, I was hooked! I was lucky enough to get the recipe and have adapted it over time to add even more chocolate. Can you ever have too much chocolate?!
Now that I have kids, I am such a fan of simplicity in the kitchen. This recipe for crinkle cookies is probably the easiest you’ll ever make. And it’s a favourite to make in our home for both taste and fun in the kitchen!
This is a wonderfully simple recipe to make with kids. It is a little messy, with easy to follow and with lots of fun steps for kids to do independently. Watch them add ingredients into the bowl, stir, roll the cookie mixture in their hands and roll the balls into icing sugar.
Chocolate crinkle cookies are made with melted butter which makes them crispy and crackly on the outside, chewy in the middle and taste just like brownies. And just when you think things couldn’t possibly get any better, there is also a generous helping of chocolate chips to make them even more irresistible! The chocolate cookies are rolled in icing sugar before baking, which creates a cracked ‘snowy’ appearance when they are ready.
How to make Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Butter.
These chocolate crinkle cookies are so easy! No chilling required, only one bowl and no whipping butter.
To make the crinkle cookies;
- Mix the dry ingredients together. You will need plain flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar and chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients. Melted butter, eggs and vanilla bean paste.
- Combine the ingredients together. Use a wooden spoon and mix until completely combined.
- Roll into balls. Using your hands, roll the mixture into small balls (this recipes makes around 25 cookies).
- Coat in icing sugar. Cover them in a thick coating, as much as you can!
- Bake! Place the coated balls onto a lined baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes. Let them cool on the tray for 10 minutes before moving as they will still be very soft and can fall apart easily.
Tips for the perfect chocolate crinkle cookies.
- Chocolate crinkle cookies are made to spread on the tray during baking. So the best result is when the dough baked from room temperature. The cookie dough can be frozen and baked later, but let the dough return to room temperature before placing in the oven.
- Roll the balls of cookie dough into the icing sugar and give them a heavy coating. As the cookies spread, cracks will appear in the icing sugar.
- Give the cookies some space on the baking tray. As they spread, you don’t want them to all join together into some kind of giant, mega cookie!
Can you freeze chocolate crinkle cookies?
You can either freeze the chocolate cookie dough mixture before baking, or freeze the cookies once cooled. Separate the cookies with baking paper and store them in an airtight container before freezing for up to three months. To thaw, simply leave them at room temperature.
Try these amazing chocolate crinkle cookies straight from the oven. They will be soft, fudgy and will absolutely melt in your mouth. As they cool, the snowy coating will harden and become crisp.
Serve these chocolate crinkle cookies at Christmas time or box them up and give them as edible gifts for teachers, friends and family.
If like me, you lack any self control whatsoever, you can take these cookies to a whole new level with salted caramel sauce and ice cream. I may or may not have just drooled a little. #notashamed.
Some other mouth watering, decadent chocolate recipes that you will love;
- 4 ingredient choc mint truffles
- Chocolate and salted caramel layer cake
- Salted chocolate tart
- Gooey Brownies with Chocolate Chips
If you try these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Butter, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment below, or send me a message. For more food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Butter
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 70 grams chocolate chips dark or milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 65 grams butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180C° and line two oven trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cocoa, sugar and choc chips) and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs, melted butter and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Roll heaped teaspoonfuls (approx. 25 cookies) of the cookie dough into your hands.
- Roll the balls of cookie dough into the icing sugar until they are thickly coated.
- Place the balls onto the baking trays, leaving gaps to allow the cookies to spread.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through. The cookies will still appear fudgy and soft. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes to cool slightly, before transferring to a wire rack.
Thanks for reading! Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
[products limit=”4″ columns=”4″ orderby=”rand”]