The next time you crave takeaway at home, these vegetable spring rolls are sure to hit the spot.
Crispy and crunchy, packed with sweet potato and full of flavour. These delicious spring rolls are better than the restaurant version and you can make them at home, ridiculously cheap!
You can buy spring roll wrappers fresh or frozen in most supermarkets and Asian grocers. They are really easy to wrap and with a little practice, you’ll be a pro in no time. I haven’t added any meat into this recipe, but a little pork mince or even some mushrooms are nice additions.
These vegetable spring rolls are quite filling on their own, or you can make smaller spring rolls and serve them with this homemade fried rice, cashew chicken, or some prawn gyoza for your own Asian feast. If you have a large enough frying pan, you can double the mix and keep a batch in the freezer for next time.
Serve with sweet chilli and soy sauce, or sweet and sour sauce.
Vegetable Spring Rolls
- 1 large sweet potato 500-600 grams, peeled and grated
- ¼ cabbage finely sliced
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp onion powder
- 20 spring roll wrappers
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the sweet potato, cabbage and onion with 2 tablespoons of oil, until soft.
- Add the sauces and garlic and onion powders and cook for a further 2 minutes, until the sauce has heated through.
- Place the spring roll wrappers on a clean bench, one at a time. Spoon a small amount of the filling along one corner of the wrapper and fold the corner over the filling.
- Continue to roll the spring roll until about halfway. Fold the middle corners over the top and continue rolling until the end. Use a small amount of water to seal the ends.
- Repeat until all of the filling is gone.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Carefully fry the spring rolls in batches, until they are crispy and golden on the outside. Remove them from the hot oil and rest on paper towel until all of the spring rolls are cooked.
- Lightly salt and serve with soy and sweet chilli, or sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy!
Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes, freebies and more delivered straight to your inbox.