Try my easy to follow cheese and Vegemite scrolls recipe for a delicious lunch or after school snack! Made using a simple pizza dough recipe, cheese and Vegemite scrolls are affordable, easy to make and super delicious. They will also make your house smell incredible!
Cheese and vegemite scrolls (or ‘cheesymite scrolls’ to Australians!) are the perfect lunchbox snack.
They are cheap, so easy to make and can be made ahead for a grab-and-go snack on busy school mornings.
For a delicious sandwich free lunch idea, add some variety to your lunchboxes with these cheese and Vegemite scrolls instead! They are a favourite among kids and adults alike and make a tasty and convenient sandwich alternative.
And fluffy cheesymite scrolls freeze well too, so they can be made in bulk and frozen in lunchbox sized portions. Snacks that can be thrown from freezer to lunchbox and thawed by snack time are a winner for me!
Homemade cheese and Vegemite scrolls;
This cheese and Vegemite scrolls recipe is simple to make and uses every day, affordable ingredients, most of which will already be in your pantry! These scrolls are made using a simple pizza dough recipe. And the recipe can be easily multiplied for bulk school lunches.
Depending on preference, either wholemeal or plain white flour can be used. This easy recipe works for either.
To make homemade scrolls, simply;
- Mix the dough ingredients together, knead and rest.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular shape. I recommend using a silicone mat to prevent sticking to the bench!
- Spread a thick layer of Vegemite and grated cheese over the dough.
- Tightly roll the long edge of the dough.
- Cut the roll into even portions and bake!
How to store homemade cheese and Vegemite scrolls;
Cheese and Vegemite scrolls can be stored in an airtight container, either at room temperature or in the fridge for around 3 days. And they can also be frozen! For the most delicious, convenient school lunchbox snacks, cheesymite scrolls can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply add them to lunchboxes in the morning and they will thaw by snacktime.
Other scroll flavour combinations;
Cheese and Vegemite is a classic flavour combination! And it is perfect when paired with a soft, fluffy homemade pizza dough. If you love these scrolls, try using homemade dough with these other flavour combinations too;
- Ham and cheese
- Pizza (tomato paste, cheese, ham)
- Ham, cheese and pineapple
- Chicken, cheese and sweet chilli
- Chicken, spinach, sun-dried tomato and cheese
- Spinach and feta
- Basil pesto and cheese
Healthy school lunch ideas;
For other sandwich substitutions and savoury lunchbox ideas, check out this list below;
- Vegetable and chickpea nuggets
- Zucchini slice
- Corn and feta fritters
- Pork sausage rolls
- Easy roast pumpkin soup
To save time and money on healthy school (and work!) snacks, see my 50 Healthy School Snacks E-BOOK which contains a bonus Guide to Making 2 Minute Lunches.
Cheese and Vegemite scrolls
- 2 cups flour '00' baking/pizza/bread flour OR wholemeal/wholewheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4-1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Vegemite Or add more or less Vegemite to suit taste
- 3 cups tasty cheese grated
- Pre-heat oven to 220C° (200C° fan forced). Line two trays with baking paper.
- To make the dough, combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the warm water (not too hot) and olive oil. Mix until combined. Start with 3/4 cup water and add a little more if needed. The dough should be soft and not too sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and cover. Allow the dough to sit in a warm area and rise for at least 30 minutes. The dough should increase in size over this time.
- Place the dough on a bench and knead for five minutes. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a rectangular shape, approximately one centimetre in height.
- Spread the Vegemite over the dough to desired thickness. Cover the Vegemite with the shredded cheese.
- Starting from the long end, roll the dough tightly into a roll. Seal the end with a little water to prevent the dough separating during cooking. Cut the rolled dough into 12 scrolls and place on baking trays, at least one centimetre apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
If you try these cheese and Vegemite scrolls recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to leave a comment or review below, or send me a message. For more food inspiration, tips and to share your own recipes and creations, head over to my Facebook Recipe Group.
Subscribe to The Cooking Collective to have more beautiful recipes, freebies and more delivered straight to your inbox.
[products limit=”4″ columns=”4″ orderby=”rand”]